Thank you for agreeing to use ProctorU as part of the Graduate Certificate in Business.
Please take the time to read the following information, as it provides an overview about ProctorU and what is required from you. You will need to register with ProctorU ahead of your exams.
Who are ProctorU?
ProctorU are an online invigilation service, based in the USA. When you take an online exam during this course, you will be monitored by an online Proctor (known in Australia as an invigilator) from ProctorU. All or part of your final exams will be monitored by a live online Proctor for each subject you undertake in this course. The purpose of monitoring the final exam is to ensure it is completed under the agreed conditions set for the exam and to provide you with technical support.
Before you register
There are a number of considerations you must make in preparation for your online exam. These include:
- Exam location - you must take your exam in a private location. Unfortunately, your workplace is not a permitted location due to firewalls and other issues that can arise at work. Your home or the home of a family member or friend is preferred and recommended
- Your computer – please ensure you decide on the computer you will use ahead of the exam. This will ensure that your computer has the required equipment and technical requirements for the exam
- Technical requirements – please ensure you have an operating webcam and microphone on your computer, and sufficient internet connection speed at the location where you intend to take your exam. To check that you have the minimum technical requirements, please test your computer’s equipment. Ideally, complete the test at the location you intend to take your exam.
Before the online exam, ensure that you:
- Decide on the location you will take your exam. Remember, when you take your exam only private locations are permitted, such as your home. Your workplace is not permitted due to firewalls and other issues that can cause connection problems.
- Decide on which computer you will take your exam on
- Test your equipment on your decided computer, ideally in the location you intend to take the exam – this reduces the chance of any connection issue during the exam
Please ensure you register with ProctorU before Census Date for your subject/s. Note that even if you are enrolled in more than one subject you only need to register with ProctorU once.
Step 1: Create your ProctorU account
- Open the ProctorU registration page
- Click Test-Taker
- Enter your details and click Create your account.
Ensure you provide a phone number to allow the Proctor to contact you during an exam if you lose internet connection. Mobile phone numbers are preferred. Ensure that you include your country prefix (e.g. Australia is +61) and add your correct time zone.
Step 2: Create a Ucard
A 'Ucard' is a booking that requires you to prove your identity to ProctorU.
- Ensure you have one form of approved photo identification that meets the identification requirements.
- Open the ProctorU Registrations page. Scheduling your Ucard session is the same process you will follow when scheduling an exam. You will be asked to schedule your session for ‘Student Authentication Exam’.
For details on how to schedule your session and connect to an online supervisor, visit the Test-Taker Resource Centre.
To create your Ucard you will need to have one form of approved photo identification ready to be checked by the online supervisor.
Approved photo identification:
- Passport (expired passport is also acceptable); or
- Driver’s licence (Australian or overseas).
If you do not have either of the above, please contact Student Support immediately. They will work with you to provide other forms of University-approved identification.
When it comes to expired IDs, ProctorU will ask to see another form of ID that is not expired. If a second ID is not available, we will accept the expired ID as long as it is less than 1 year from the expiration date.
Schedule your exam
You are required to schedule a time to take your exam with ProctorU. You will be able to log onto ProctorU and select your exam start time from Week 6.
All online exams for this program have a set start time. However, ProctorU require that you schedule a specific time slot with them that falls within the first hour of your exam start time. Please go to the Assessment area on your subject’s Canvas page for details about the final exam including the date and time. You will need this information before you schedule your exam session with ProctorU.
Please be sure to schedule your exam with ProctorU at least 72 hours before the exam start time. This is important for two reasons:
- This ensures you get the time slot you want, as time slots are limited
- If you schedule any later than 72 hours before the exam you will be required to pay a fee to ProctorU. The applicable fee must be paid by you with a credit or debit card. You will be required to enter payment information on a secure page connected to a third-party card processor. The page is encrypted and secure and ProctorU does not see or store any credit card data. ProctorU is PCI-DSS compliant.
Frequently asked questions
When do I register with ProctorU?
You can register with ProctorU at any time using the above process. However, you will not be able to book an exam time until week 6.
What type of information will be collected by ProctorU?
When you register with ProctorU a range of personal information will be collected such as your name, email and phone contact. You will also be asked to provide identification which will be recorded by ProctorU. This information is required in order to verify your identity. When you undertake the final exam, you will have audio and video contact with a live moderator. The moderator will have remote access to your screen and webcam. Recordings via your webcam and screen may be captured during the exam to ensure academic integrity.
What if I don’t agree to this information being collected?
You cannot complete the final exam for any of the subjects in this program without registering with ProctorU. As final exams are a hurdle requirement for the course, you will not be able to undertake the course and should discontinue before census date. Please contact Student Support for further information (see contact details below).
How do I know that the data gathered by ProctorU is safe?
ProctorU has rigorous measures in place to protect your data. Their data storage systems and privacy collection methods have been extensively reviewed to ensure compliance with the required standards of the University of Melbourne.
What is my data used for?
Your data will be used to identify you when you register with ProctorU and when you prepare to undertake the final exam for a subject. Data, such as realtime video captured from your webcam or screen during an exam, may be used to confirm if a breach of examination protocol has occurred.
How securely is my data stored?
ProctorU has extensive data protection controls, including encrypting your data both at rest and in transit. Only a limited number of authorised ProctorU and University of Melbourne staff can access this data.
How long will ProctorU keep my data?
ProctorU will store your data for up to one year after your final exam. After this time, all stored data will be permanently deleted.
What are the minimum technical requirements?
Please refer to ProctorU’s Technical Requirements page.
I have additional concerns, who do I contact?
Contact Student Support.