- Download a course guide
Aim higher and elevate your career to the next level.
- Applications close 20 August 2017
Your dedicated Student Support team is available 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday AEDT to answer your enquiries, phone: +61 3 8344 0149.
|Full-time duration||Part-time duration||Selective subjects||Capstone subjects*||Next term starts||Total course fee|
|1 year||2 years||6||1||2 October 2017||A$38,976|
* Please note, the capstone subject is compulsory. Capstone subjects vary, and may involve work placements, project-based learning, a research project, or a coursework subject outlining business best practice. Students can choose to study the capstone over one term or two, depending on their individual needs.
The Master of Information Systems (Executive) is a unique online course covering critical areas in information systems management and digital business. As a student of this course you will develop advanced capability in supporting, managing and changing business processes through information and communication technology (ICT). The online course structure allows you to plan your study around your career aspirations and you can choose from a range of subject areas available, including IT strategy, emerging technologies, information assurance, and outsourcing and contracting. You will also have the opportunity to network with high-achieving peers and world experts.
We’ve designed this course to produce strategic leaders in the field of information systems and digital business, especially at the executive level. Students of this course will gain strategic expertise to influence decision-making at the most senior level and will learn advanced collaborative skills to manage complex teams. The course incorporates emerging trends and the latest industry requirements to ensure your learning is relevant and practical.
Who the course is for
This course is for ambitious senior information technology managers currently in an executive role and those who aspire to be C-level executives, including either a Chief Technology Officer or Chief Information Officer or similar; looking to enhance their skills and experience and take their leadership to the next level.
You will likely hold a role as:
- Head of Information Technology
- Head of Information Systems
- Executive Manager Information Systems/Services
- Director of Information Technology/Systems
- Business Integration Manager
- General Manager Information Systems/Technology
- Systems and Architecture Manager
- Strategy Director – IT.
The current generation of IT Professionals are increasingly acquiring both technology and business based competencies, however there is a need for higher level strategic thinking, backed by best practice and research. The Master of Information Systems (Executive) seeks to provide advanced level formal development and qualification that equips its graduates with critical strategic thinking skills for the future ICT industry.
What you will learn
- Extensive knowledge of management practice in the area of Information Systems
Extensive knowledge of management practice in the area of Information Systems
You will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of the management practice of information systems in organisations, gain the skills in critical thinking and systems analysis, understand the research principles and methods in information systems, and demonstrate an understanding of professional codes of conduct and ethical standards as they apply to business practice.
- Business and IT alignment thought leadership to help you convey the value of the latest technologies for business
Business and IT alignment thought leadership to help you convey
the value of the latest technologies for business
You will develop strategic expertise to help you influence decision making at the most senior level.
- Identify, understand, evaluate and communicate operational issues
Identify, understand, evaluate and communicate operational issues
You will have gained experience in identifying, understanding, evaluating and communicating strategic and operational issues in the real-world practice of information systems.
Who you will learn from
The course is taught by academics and industry leaders with regular industry input and guest speakers including current, experienced CIO’s. Your online learning experience in enriched by interaction with lecturers, tutors and your fellow classmates as a community of advanced learners. You can expect input and feedback from your lecturers and tutors as well as regular real-time sessions where you speak with the instructor and fellow students. There will also be occasional non-compulsory face to face networking conferences in Melbourne which students can choose to attend. Selected seminars at the conferences will also be recorded.
Find out more about the University of Melbourne online learning experience.
- Dr Sara Cullen, Fellow, University of Melbourne
Subject Coordinator, Outsourcing and Contracting and Managing IT Professionals
Managing Director, The Cullen Group
- Dr Rod Dilnutt, Industry Fellow School of Computing and Information Systems, University of Melbourne
Director, William Bethwey & Associates
Subject Coordinator, Advanced Change Management
- Dr Atif Ahmad, Course Coordinator, Master of Information Systems (Executive)
Subject Coordinator, Information Assurance
Contact student support
Talk with a dedicated online Student Support Consultant via the chat function at the bottom right of this page, via phone or by filling out the enquiry form to understand more about this program, including:
- Entry requirements
- Time commitment for subjects
- Fees and payment options.
Phone: + 61 3 8344 0149
Opening hours: Weekdays: 9am - 5pm AEST