- Download a course guide
Drive innovation and change in the higher education sector.
- Applications close 20 August 2017
Your dedicated Student Support team is available 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday AEDT to answer your enquiries, phone: +61 3 8344 0149.
|Full-time duration||Part-time duration||Core subjects||Elective Subjects||Capstone subjects||Next semester starts||Total course fee|
|N/A||2 years||1||4||1||2 Oct 2017||A$28,000|
The Master of Tertiary Education (Management) will provide you with specialised skills and knowledge for leading and managing successfully in tertiary sector institutions.
The course draws on the latest evidence-based research in tertiary education leadership and management and is taught by leading international experts, giving you access to global expertise and perspectives.
If you want to develop the skills to navigate change and drive innovation in this complex sector and advance your career, then this course is for you.
We’ve designed this course to help current leaders and those aspiring to be leaders, to gain more confidence in leading teams, influencing policy, planning institutional strategy and managing change within institutions.
The course aims to provide concepts, insights and practical skills for leading and managing successfully in tertiary sector institutions. It offers expert perspectives on tertiary education systems, policy settings and institutional strategies in a national and international context.
Who the course is for
This course is for academic leaders and senior administrative or professional managers in universities and vocational education and training institutions or similar. They include, but are not limited to, those in roles such as:
- Head of School
- Head of Department
- Senior Educator or Program Director
- General Manager of a faculty, school, department or unit
- Director within a faculty, school, department or unit.
Whether you’re an academic, an administrator or a professional manager at a university or other tertiary institution, this course will provide you with an improved capacity to lead and influence change within your institution, and enhance your management capabilities that you can apply to your current role and future roles within tertiary education institutions.
What you will learn
- Insights and perspectives on contexts and trends in tertiary education
Insights and perspectives on contexts and trends in tertiary education
You’ll gain comprehensive knowledge of established frameworks for organising, leading and managing in the tertiary education sector.
- Skills and strategies for leading and managing challenges in tertiary education contexts
Skills and strategies for leading and managing challenges
in tertiary education contexts
You’ll gain well-informed perspectives on the issues and challenges faced by tertiary education systems and institutions around the world so that you can confidently apply these learnings to your own work context.
- Assess the implications of policy change or market developments for effective institutional management
Assess the implications of policy change or market developments
for effective institutional management
You’ll learn to confidently and effectively lead people, influence policy, plan strategy and manage change projects in the tertiary education context.
Who you will learn from
Your online learning experience is enriched by interaction with lecturers and your fellow classmates. You can expect input and feedback from your lecturers and tutors as well as regular real-time sessions where you speak with the instructor and fellow students.
Find out more about the University of Melbourne online learning experience.
- Professor Leo Goedegebuure, Director, LH Martin Institute
- Professor Merle Jacob, Director, Research Policy Institute, Lund University, Sweden and Lecturer
- Professor Lynn Meek, Foundation Director, LH Martin Institute and Lecturer
- Professor Jeanette Baird, Vice-President, Quality Assurance and Strategic Planning, Divine Word University, Papua New Guinea and former Executive Director, Regulation and Review, Australian Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency and Lecturer (TEQSA)
- Mr Dennis Murray, Director, Murray-Goold International and Lecturer
- Dr Heather Davis, Tertiary Education Management Program Director, LH Martin Institute and Senior Lecturer, University of Melbourne.
- Dr Geoff Sharrock, Program Director, LH Martin Institute and Senior Lecturer, University of Melbourne.
- Dr Chinh Nguyen, Academic Programs Support Officer, LH Martin Institute.
Contact student support
Talk with a dedicated online Student Support Consultant via the chat function at the bottom right of this page, via phone or by filling out the enquiry form to understand more about this program, including:
- Entry requirements
- Time commitment for subjects
- Fees and payment options.
Phone: + 61 3 8344 0149
Opening hours: Weekdays: 9am - 5pm AEST